I am currently not accepting books for review. I plan to open this section up again in January, 2016, but may do so before that. Please check back, and of course, feel free to ask - the worst I can do is say "no," and I certainly wouldn't hold it against you for asking! Thank you!
As an indpendent author, one of the most difficult challenges in marketing your work is getting reviews and visibility. After seeing how few bloggers there are out there that review books (despite the fact that there are still hundreds), I decided that, instead of complaining that nobody has time to read and review all the new books that come out every day, I would become part of the solution and add one more name to the reviewers list.
Here are my promises to you:
- 1 - My reviews are FREE. I will never accept any payment in return for a review. If you want to give me money for no reason at all, that's cool. It will not get you a review, though.
- 2- I will be honest with my review. I tend to rate on the high side for books that I enjoy, and pretty decent for books that I just managed to get through. My basic scale looks something like this:
- 5 = A great read, original ideas and kept my interest all the way through. Doesn't have to be the best ever, but pretty close and near perfect. Something I get really excited about reading for the next week or so.
- 4 = Almost as good as a 5, but I just had a couple of issues with a few things. A plot hole or two, deus ex machina (unavoidable sometimes, but okay if used once and the story keeps moving) - things like that. If it's still a good story, that's a 4.
- 3 = It was okay, just pretty good. I kept my promise to read it. I kept looking for a nugget of something really good, but it never quite materialized.
- 2 = Couldn't finish it, or if I did it was really hard. Fuzzy plot, thin characters. I didn't like it.
- 1 = Why do you hate me? There are only two books I have ever actually thrown in the trash. A "1" is a book in the trash, or deleted from my kindle.
- 3- I will post ALL reviews to my website. I will only post ratings of 3-5 to Amazon and Goodreads, and maybe others if you let me know about them and I agree. If it is a 1 or 2, I will let you know, and I'll do my best to provide constructive criticism if you ask for it. Otherwise, I'll just tell you I couldn't finish it and let it be.
- 4- I will do my very best to review your book in the time frame that I give. Of course, circumstances may dictate otherwise, and if that is the case, I will try to let you know of a delay. Please feel free to follow up with me if you have not received an update.
These are the genres I am interested in. I'm going to sound like such a jerk here, but it needs to be said that if you pitch your story as something it is not, I will waive the 1-2 rating rule, but still rate honestly.
- Science Fiction | Fantasy | Weird Fiction | Literary/General Fiction | Humor | Horror | Thriller | Suspense | Supernatural
- Some YA - but if you're doing the whole love triangle thing, please make it have a point, and be original
Not a big fan of:
- Mystery "Who dunnits" | Police Procedurals | Romance (not reviewing) | Military, unless it has a rich science or suspense driven plot
- No erotica, period; I don't mind erotic elements, but let's try to keep it mostly in our pants, please
If you still want a review after all this, please fill out the form below and include the following:
- 1 - A pleasant greeting, such as "Hello," or "Good evening." Be pleasant, be human:)
- 2 - Title of book
- 3 - Genre
- 4 - A short description
- 5 - A link to your book's sales page where I can get a cover image to post for your review on this site and to read the excerpt
- 6 - Your online presence links - webpage, twitter, facebook, etc.
- 7 - Anything else you think is important. Still okay to be human.
Congrats on getting your novel published!